Molepolole Magistrate Court has granted bail to 30 people accused of causing violence and damage to property in Lentsweletau.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT: A 32 year-old Lentsweletau man, Tebogo Mokokong, disappeared mysteriously -- leading to a wide spread unrest from an angry mob including the burning and vandalising of the customary court and a mortuary.
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED: Mokokong was employed by a well-known business man in the village and is said to have been drinking with his employer on the day of his disappearance.
His uncle, Loeto Mokokong, said that the night that Mokokong disappeared, he confided in them that he had been frightened by what he witnessed at his employer’s house. Even though he failed to describe the terrifying sighting, he went to the customary court in the early hours of Wednesday, 17 March 2021, to report the incident. That was the last time his family saw him.
HOW DID THE 30 GET ARRESTED: A search party was dispatched and found his underwear abandoned in the bushes, which led his family to conclude that he might have been murdered. Members of the public went on a rampage and set alight the buildings, including the customary court and a newly constructed mostuary.
So far, five members of the Mokokong family are amongst the 30 suspects who are in police custody for the riots that took place on Sunday night.